English 12 is an introductory course in critical reading and writing emphasizing the development and communication of ideas in written form and a basic rhetorical understanding of how language communicates facts, ideas, and attitudes. After passing English 12, students must take English 24.
Please see the Curriculum Guide for English 12/12A0 for more information about the revised course structure, as of Summer 2022. The Curriculum Guide includes the following sections:
- An introduction providing background information on the creation of the new curriculum
- The revised Course Learning Outcomes for Composition I
- A series of questions to prompt reflection on writing pedagogy and equity
- Some broad guidelines for types of assignments and approximate amount of writing to assign
- A note about designing courses and links to several sample syllabi
- A list of works consulted by the CRC in designing this curriculum revision
For information about ALP sections of English 12/12A0, please see the “Accelerated Learning Program” tab and the “ALP: Online Teaching Resources” tab in the menu above. For information about Collaborative Portfolio Assessment (CPA) and digital portfolios, click on those tabs in the menu above.